Flying - FAQ

Thank you for visiting our website. We have created this page to help explain the work that is carried out when our aerial film crew operate on location. We are often asked about the work we are doing, so have written it as a series of frequently asked questions.

What work are you carrying out?

We provide photography and film services for our customers, some of which is taken in the air.

Is it safe?

A 'Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft' (SUSA) a.k.a quadcopter/hexacopter/octocopter/SUSA/UAV/UAS/drone is considered by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to be an aircraft and as such are governed by the same operational rules as a normal size aircraft, in particular the ANO (Air Navigation Order).

Safety is our primary concern and we follow a strict code of practice as documented in our Operations Manual, which is always with the Pilot-in-Command at the Ground Control Station onsite.

We do not operate our Aircraft within 150 metres of crowds of more than 1000 people, or 50 metres from people, vessels or buildings that are not under the control of the Pilot-in-Command (30 metres when taking off or landing).

We always carry a fire-extinguisher and a first aid kit and are trained in procedures for dealing with incidents.

We ask that our Pilot-in-Command and Camera Operator are not distracted whilst operating the Aircraft and that the public remain at least 50 metres away from the flying zone.

Are you qualified to do this?

Yes. Our Pilot has been trained by EuroUSC, Europe’s leading independent approvals specialist covering accreditation of organisations, airworthiness assessment and flight crew licensing for remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) or unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) operating within civil airspace.

Our Pilot holds the BNUC-S qualification, which is renewed every 12 months, and the organisation holds a PFAW (Permission for Aerial Work), issued by the CAA.

Is it legal?

Yes. We follow the law to the letter, hold the BNUC-S qualification and hold the PFAW permit and are fully insured. We're also members of ARPAS, the drone operator trade body and The Drone Safe Register.

Are you insured?

Yes. We hold specialist aerial public liability cover up-to £5,000,000.  General commercial Public Liability policies do not cover drone work.

What about my privacy?

We use very wide-angle lenses on our Aircraft. As such individuals are very difficult to identify in our images. We also endeavour to minimise the capturing of individuals, unless they are actors or customers working with us as part of the filming project that we are undertaking at the time. For further details you can request our aerial privacy policy.

How do I contact you if I want to know more?

You can contact us here if you'd like to know more.